Tuesday 29 July 2014

iStudio - Buyers beware!

BUYERS BEWARE! ISTUDIO STAFF UNSCRUPULOUS & NOT GOOD TO BUY FROM THEM



My wife bought me the Mac Pro 6 core to surprise me for my birthday.

Yes I was surprised. At the same time I was rather upset.

I have owned more than 10 macs in my life and working with 4 right now. While I do not profess to be a Mac guru, I'm aggrieved at the customer service and this episode with the iStudio floor salesperson that persuaded my wife to go ahead with the purchase.



At $7656, it is no small amount for a personal computer; let alone one without a monitor. (monitor sold separately at additional $1350.)

My main grouse is that based on the recommendation of the salesperson, she made the purchase. Without the monitor but opted for the higher specs for performance. To start with My wife wasn't too sure about buying the Mac Pro because we already had an iMac 27 inch as my main PC. And if she were to get the Mac Pro she would have to also buy the monitor. So the sales person tells her that she can use the existing iMac as a display so that she won't need to get the monitor. Bold statement indeed (however true to a certain extent). But she still doubted it and this sales person got his colleague (in his words, "my colleague, he's a Mac Expert...") to validate his statement on the connectivity issue. The two of them convinced my wife that it can be done. Based on their info she felt that it was a viable solution.



What the salesperson failed to highlight to my wife is that by using the iMac as a display, you need to boot up both computers at start-up and then configure the Target Display Mode every time you want to use the computer(s) That needless to say is totally illogical!!!!! It's not productive at all! Is that how you guys work at studio?



Why would anyone use the iMac as a peripheral device for the Mac Pro unless its for additional real estate for your editing tools etc (extending desktop). Why sacrifice a perfectly working iMac 27"? When I questioned the salesperson, he said he did try to convince my wife to get the monitor but she did not want to as she wanted to use the budget to get a higher spec'd model. I even asked him if he highlighted this fact about the inconvenience of the target mode to my wife…no answer. He just said my wife said it was ok…Well DUHH I guess she was convinced with your earlier explanation (partial)



THE FACT THAT THIS WAS NOT EXPLAINED TO MY WIFE IS WHERE I FEEL THAT SHE WAS MISLED AS A CONSUMER TO MAKE THE PURCHASE.



I have asked her and she acknowledges that if she had known about this then she would have would not have made the purchase. Well at least not without the monitor and certainly would have chosen the 4 core rather than the 6 core which was also the Salesperson's recommendation.



Well as you can tell I did pop by the store to conduct my own "investigation" and to see what kind of resolution was available to me and to test out how competent the staff were…I headed straight to the salesperson and identified myself. There was a little anxiety as I progressively asked him why he did not highlight this important fact to my wife. His defense was that he did but up to the part where it concerned the set up and start-up. He had no answer to that. I requested for option on resolution but he said his manager was not in. No point pursuing that. I then tested him one step further to offer my options i.e. ask around for me to resell the Mac Pro at $7000 and I even throw in the Apple care. I left him my number. At the end, the salesperson called back to tell me certainly no refunds as it's against store policy as my Mac Pro was customised but I then I could buy the new monitor at $1300 or something like that. By the way this was the answer that was given to the sales person by his GM, whoever that is. They are obviously missing the point. I would not be in this situation in the first place if there was no purchase!!!! And as if to add insult to injury they did not "insist" on my wife getting the thunderbolt cable that would enable their wonderful solution to work with my existing iMac.



So here's my advice, the next time any of the salesperson at iStudio recommends anything else, BEWARE, the information they provide could be selectively edited or conveniently omitted to mislead you. You can take the risk but why why risk it. Just do a simple google search for complaints on studio and you can see for yourself some of the other grievances.



As for this whole episode, I suppose the next logical step would be to take it to CASE and see what they think about the misleading statement that was made in the context of this sales transaction. As for the management at iStudio, if your people do not know what they're talking about they don't deserve to be on the floor interacting with customers. Its an insult to the all the goodness that the Mac and Apple brand has come to be associated with and especially to their passionate and loyal users. Some of you may not agree with my opinion or situation but if you were in my shoes lets see how you feel about it. This is certainly unbecoming of a premium reseller of apple products, wonder what the principal have to say about this.



UPDATE

After almost a week they have the audacity to insult me with a offer of a 5% discount on the Thunderbolt monitor and insist that their salesperson did his due diligence in informing my wife. You want me to spend more money at your store? Forget it.





via Hardware Forums http://ift.tt/1zqzHDX

No comments:

Post a Comment