Monday, 3 March 2014

HOOT! Cooler Master G750M Semi-Modular 80PLUS Bronze PSU



The PSU market is a tough one. One bad PSU and all your reputation you build up over the years will all go down the drain

Cooler Master in the very least didn't have a real presence in the high-end PSU categories until some time back since their products was based on older or low to mid-performance platforms.

Before you say there was the Silent series, that was more of a mid-range PSU than a high-end PSU and cost more than the other high-end PSUs from other companies



That said, their portfolio has been hotting up with the V-series and the VS-series

Today I have the GM750. Do not confuse this one with any of the i/G series as they are completely different









What is it? It's a 80PLUS bronze-rated efficiency PSU aimed at Gamers apparently. Having called it the CM Gaming Series





In this category we have the old but still brilliant and arguably best value PSU the Seasonic M12II-650,750 and the 850

(NOTE : The HX750 from Corsair is CWT not Seasonic unlike the 650)

Features :

"Ribbon" Cables on the peripheral cables. That's nice to see even though I would have liked to see the SATA cables being done the Seasonic style but still keeping it a ribbon cable.





Semi-Modular. This is somewhat expected of even a low-end PSU but yes.



"Intelligent 120mm fan" This is somewhat baffling as I have always thought round grilles to have better airflow than honeycomb meshes. Also yes, It is rather quiet at low-load



Short. This thing is really small for a 750W PSU. The design looks like it can do more though



Double-array EMI filter. I'm not entirely sure but the Seasonic only has 1 small X and 2 small Y cap + 1 coil for filtering. This is nearly double of that!

The filtering starts with 1 X and 2 Y caps at where the C13 plug goes into

2 small X-cap and 2 Y-cap + 2 coils

If this doesn't filter noise I don't know what will.

Auxiliary voltages is done by a DC-DC module so yes, this is NOT a double forward converter PSU.



CM's 3D circuit design for the peripheral connectors







NOTE : This is a CWT design but the secondary has been modified by CM

Testing apparatus :

I apologise for the lack of proper testing equipment for testing a PSU but I at least have the basics :



My hardware which more or less pulls the same power in OCCT

Intel Xeon L5639 @ 3.6GHz 1.2V, Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and Powercolor R9 280X TurboDuo @ 1.07GHz





Plextor M5S 128GB, Hitachi 7K1000.C

Bench testing : CM HAF XB

Calibrated Agilent U1273AX Digital Multimeter

Standard power-meter (Something like a Kill-a-watt)



PSUs tested : CM G750M, Seasonic M12II 750



Results :

CM G750M

120W idle

300W GPU load

400W GPU+CPU load

Seasonic M12II-750

133W idle

340W GPU load

420W GPU+CPU load

Voltage readings during tests (Only 12V rail due to lack of time) :

CM G750M

12.05v idle 12.08v GPU load 12.05v GPU+CPU load

Seasonic M12II 750

12.11v idle 12.07v GPU load 12.05v GPU+CPU load



In short? This PSU is definitely better than the PSU I used to use, the Seasonic M12II-750

Sure, It doesn't have japanese caps like the Seasonic but again, I'm not entirely planning to use it for more than 5 years. Anyway this is a solid PSU either way, better efficiency than the Seasonic which used to be the best bronze platform around



And if you look at the graph it breaks gold at low load. And yes this is more of a silver PSU than it is bronze so yes, it's underrated just like the CM V850 or the V1000. Good.



In short, I approve :thumb2:





via Hardware Forums http://ift.tt/1c3BOFW

No comments:

Post a Comment